Spanish tomato salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- No cook
- Serves 4 for lunch or 6 as a starter
- 1 ¼kg mix of tomato, use different varieties and colours, at room temperature
- ½ red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp caster sugar
- small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
- 1 small garlic clove
- 50g toasted flaked almond
- 6 slices Iberico or Serrano ham
- 75g manchego cheese, shaved
- STEP 1
Slice the tomatoes and arrange on a large platter with the onion. Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and ½ tsp of the sugar. Leave to stand for 10 mins or up to 30 mins while you make the dressing.
- STEP 2
Tip the parsley, vinegar, olive oil, remaining sugar, garlic, half the almonds and a good pinch of salt into the small bowl of a food processor. Blitz to a pesto consistency, adding a dribble of water if you need to loosen it a little.
- STEP 3
Weave the slices of ham between the tomatoes and onion, creating a little height on the plate. Drizzle over the dressing, scatter with the remaining almonds and shavings of manchego. Drizzle over a little extra oil and serve.