Simple snowflake cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Covers a 20cm round christmas cake
- 1 x 20cm round Christmas cake , homemade (see 'Goes well with' recipe) or bought
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 300g marzipan
- 2 egg whites
- about 500g sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp glycerine
- silver dragees
- approx 65cm wide silver ribbon (available from cake decorating suppliers or stationers)
- approx 65cm clear snowflake ribbon (available from Paperchase)
- STEP 1
Brush the top of the Christmas cake with honey. Roll out the marzipan, then trim to fit the top of the cake, using the cake itself or the cake tin as a template. Lay the marzipan on top of the cake, then press down lightly.
- STEP 2
Lightly beat the egg whites with a fork, just to break them up, then gradually beat in the sifted icing sugar until you have an icing that forms soft peaks. Beat in the glycerine to stop the icing from getting too hard. Spread and thickly swirl the icing over the marzipan, then scatter with silver dragees. Decorate by wrapping round a silver ribbon and then the clear snowflake ribbon.