- Preparation and cooking time
- plus overnight soaking
- 250g broth mix (or a mixture of 75g pearl barley, 75g yellow split peas, 50g red split lentils and 50g green split or marrowfat peas)
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 litres lamb stock
- 200g kale chopped
- STEP 1
Rinse the soup mix and soak in cold water for 8 hrs or overnight, covered in a cool place. Drain and rinse well.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion, leek, turnip, carrots and celery for 10 mins, covered with a lid, until soft but not golden. Add a generous pinch of salt and a good grinding of pepper.
- STEP 3
Pour the stock into the pan and bring to a simmer. Add the drained soup mix, and gently simmer for 1 hr part-covered, until the barley and split peas are tender. Season again if needed. Stir in the kale, and cook for 10-15 mins until tender, then ladle into bowls to serve.