Salmon & soured cream potato bites
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 1 1/4-1 1/2 hrs
- Makes 16
- 8small potatoes (Maris Piper, King Edward or a red-skinned variety)
- 135-150g pack hot smoked salmon flakes (or a fillet, flaked yourself)
- 2-3 tsp hot grated horseradish (from a jar)
- 1 tbsp chopped chive
- 3 spring onions , trimmed and finely chopped
- 5 tbsp soured cream or crème fraîche
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a few chives
- fine strips of lemon zest
- STEP 1
Preheat the oven to fan 180C/conventional 200C/gas 6. Wash the potatoes and prick each one with a fork. Place on the middle oven shelf and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and crispy outside and cooked in the middle.
- STEP 2
Remove from the oven, leaving it on. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, halve each one and scoop the fluffy flesh into a bowl. Add the salmon, horseradish, chives, spring onions, soured cream or crème fraîche and lemon juice. Season well and mix gently.
- STEP 3
Put the empty potato skins on a baking sheet and brush with oil. Return to the oven for 5 minutes to crisp, then spoon in the filling. Cover with foil and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Garnish with chives, lemon zest and pepper.