Runner beans & charred leeks with vinaigrette
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
An easy veggie side dish with plenty of crunch, coated in a mustard, chilli and anchovy dressing to give an umami hit
- 2 trimmed leeks , cleaned and halved
- 400g runner beans , topped, tailed and sliced on the diagonal
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp good-quality red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely chopped tarragon leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds , toasted
- STEP 1
Bring a frying pan of salted boiling water to the boil, reduce to a simmer, add the leeks and cover with a cartouche (a piece of baking parchment with a hole in the middle). Cook for 4-5 mins until tender and a deeper green, then remove from the water with a slotted spoon (keeping the water at a simmer) and dry in a clean tea towel.
- STEP 2
Add the runner beans to the water, cook for 2-3 mins until tender, then drain and set aside.
- STEP 3
Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and toss the leeks in 1/ 2 tbsp olive oil and some seasoning. Griddle for a couple of mins each side until charred. Transfer to a chopping board and slice into lengths the same size as the runner beans.
- STEP 4
To make the vinaigrette, pound the anchovy using a pestle and mortar (or whizz in a blender), add the chilli flakes, Dijon, red wine vinegar and sugar and combine. Whisk in the remaining olive oil, season, then stir in the herbs.
- STEP 5
Put the runner beans and leeks in a large bowl. Pour over the vinaigrette, toss in the spring onions, then scatter over the seeds.