Roasted tomato & cheddar rice with garden salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 400g cherry tomato
- 2 onions , chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano leaves (or 1½ tsp dried), plus a few extra
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g easy-cook long grain rice
- 1l hot vegetable stock
- 2 avocados , sliced
- about 3 small bunches mixed soft herbs (we used chives, parsley and mint)
- 1 baby cos lettuce , shredded
- juice 1 lemon
- 200g mature cheddar , grated
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Spread the tomatoes on a baking tray and roast for 15 mins, then remove. Heat grill to High.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, soften the onion and oregano in the oil, stir in the rice and stock, and boil for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked.
- STEP 3
Mix the avocados, herbs, shredded lettuce and lemon juice.
- STEP 4
Stir most of the cheese and tomatoes into the rice, tip into an ovenproof dish, scatter remaining cheese and tomatoes on top with some more oregano and flash under the grill to brown. Spoon onto plates with the salad served on the side.