Roast chicken with butternut squash, chorizo & chilli
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 1 large free-range chicken (about 2.25kg/5lb)
- 4 medium red onions , 1 halved, the rest cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for greasing
- 12 sage leaves, 8 shredded, 4 left whole, plus an extra sprig to garnish
- 1 butternut squash , peeled and cut into large, chunky wedges
- 500g pack Charlotte potato , halved
- 2 red chillies , seeds left in and sliced
- 110g pack chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 garlic bulb, separated into cloves
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Pull the white fat out of the chicken’s cavity and discard. Tuck 2 onion halves inside the cavity with the 4 whole sage leaves, rub the skin with a little oil, then season well. Put the chicken, breast-side down, in a large roasting tin, then roast for 45 mins. Turn it over then roast for 30 mins more.
- STEP 2
Toss the onion wedges with the sage, squash, potatoes, chillies, chorizo and garlic. Add the oil, season well, and mix again. Scatter round the chicken, toss in the pan juices, then roast for 45 mins.
- STEP 3
Lift the chicken from the roasting tin and put on a plate, then turn up the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Toss the vegetables in the pan juices, spread over the tin to give them a bit of space, then return to the oven for 15 mins to brown while the chicken rests under foil and tea towels. Garnish with fresh sage leaves and serve with broccoli and wilted spinach.