Red Thai meatball curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 500g pack lean beef mince (10% fat)
- 2 red chillies , 1 chopped, 1 sliced
- thumb-size piece ginger , grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1-1½ tbsp Thai red curry paste , depending on how spicy you like it
- 400ml can reduced-fat coconut milk
- 225g can bamboo shoots , drained
- 140g fine green beans , trimmed
- juice 1 lime , plus extra wedges to serve
- 20g pack basil
- basmati rice or rice noodles, to serve
- STEP 1
Put the mince into a large bowl with the chopped chilli, ginger and egg, then season generously. Mix well with your hands, then shape into 20 meatballs. Can be made and chilled up to a day ahead.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, then brown the meatballs for 5 mins. Tip onto a plate. Add the curry paste, fry for 1 min, then pour in the coconut milk and half a can of water. Bring back to the boil and stir to make a smooth sauce.
- STEP 3
Return the meatballs to the pan with the bamboo shoots and beans. Simmer for 5 mins until the beans are just tender and meatballs cooked through. To serve, season the sauce with salt, pepper and lime juice, then tear in the basil leaves. Scatter with sliced chilli and serve with rice or noodles and more lime wedges for squeezing over.