Red rice & chicken salad with pomegranate & feta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Use ready-roasted chicken to shred into your salad and pack up any leftovers for lunch the next day
- 250g red Camargue rice
- zest and juice 2 lemons
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of caster sugar
- 1 small ready-roasted chicken , skin discarded and meat shredded
- 50g almond , toasted and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber , deseeded, cut into diagonal chunky pieces
- 1 bunch spring onions , chopped
- 100g feta cheese , crumbled
- 1 pomegranate , seeds removed
- small handful dill , finely chopped
- STEP 1
Boil the rice in plenty of salted water until just cooked, about 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the dressing and prepare the other ingredients. Place the lemon zest and juice, and olive oil in a jam jar with a fitted lid. Add seasoning and the sugar and shake well. Drain cooled rice and tip into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the warm rice and mix well. Let it soak in a little, then toss through the rest of the ingredients.
Red Camargue rice has a nutty flavour and chewy texture. It gets its colour from the outer bran layers of the husk, which are left intact, rather than being polished like white rice. It is available from health food shops, specialist grocers and large supermarkets.