Red chicory, pear & hazelnut salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Ready in 15-20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 heads of red chicory , or white if not available
- 2 ripe red Williams pears
- a good handful of rocket leaves
- 25g hazelnuts , toasted and chopped
For the dressing
- 1 tsp green peppercorns in brine, optional
- 2 tbsp hazelnut or olive oil
- 2 tbsp mild salad oil, such as sunflower oil or safflower oil
- 1 tsp sherry or cider vinegar
- STEP 1
Make the dressing. If using green peppercorns, lightly crush them in a bowl with a wooden spoon, or use a pestle and mortar. Mix in the oils and vinegar and add salt to taste.
- STEP 2
Trim away the chicory stalk ends and discard any limp or tired outer leaves. Carefully separate the leaves and arrange 5-6 on 4 plates – if they are big, cut or tear each one into pieces.
- STEP 3
Remove the stalks from the pears and quarter the pears lengthways. Cut out the cores, then thinly slice the fruit. Arrange the pear slices on top of the chicory leaves and spoon over half the dressing. Pour the remaining dressing over the rocket and season with salt and pepper. Give the leaves a quick toss and pile on top of each salad. Sprinkle with the nuts and serve.