- 440g canned pitted cherries in syrup (Morello or sour cherries are best, if you can get them)
One of the delights of the summer, cherries are much loved for their succulent texture, flavour…
- 100g mixed fresh or frozen forest fruits (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
- 180ml cranberry juice
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tbsp golden caster sugar
- dash of rosewater
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 500g pot good-quality vanilla custard
- 1 square of 70% dark chocolate, finely grated
- handful pomegranate seeds
- handful mint leaves
In a large saucepan over a medium heat, cook the fruits in their juices and syrup, along with 150ml of the cranberry juice, the vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar and rosewater for about 20 mins or until the fruits are soft.
In a separate bowl, mix the remaining cranberry juice with the cornflour until it becomes smooth and milky without any lumps. Pour slowly into the hot fruit and continue stirring until mixed in well – the compote will thicken after a couple of mins. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving for best results in texture and flavour. Will keep for up to 1 week.
Serve the compote in ramekins, small bowls or clean jam jars, with a generous dollop of vanilla custard. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings and pomegranate seeds on top, and finish with the mint leaves.