Rack of lamb with new potato, onion & thyme gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 1 rack of lamb , French trimmed with the fat scored
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , finely sliced
- 400g new potato , sliced
- ½ bunch thyme , a few sprigs reserved to garnish
- 3 garlic cloves , finely sliced
- 200ml chicken or lamb stock (fresh if possible)
- asparagus , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat a small roasting tin, and coat the lamb with 1 tbsp of the oil and some sea salt. Place the lamb, skin-side down, in the tin until the fat has turned brown, then sear all over. Transfer to a plate.
- STEP 2
Add the onion to the tin and cook for about 10 mins until soft. Stir in the potatoes, thyme, garlic and stock, and press down with a spoon. Put the lamb on top and roast in the oven for 25-30 mins until the potatoes are tender and the lamb cooked to your liking.
- STEP 3
Leave to rest under some foil for about 10 mins. Slice the lamb into cutlets and scatter with the reserved thyme sprigs. Serve with a spoonful of the potatoes and some simply cooked asparagus, if you like.