Rabbit & mushroom hotpot
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3 tbsp olive oil , plus a little extra for brushing
- 1 oven-ready rabbit , cut into legs, shoulders and loins (discard the rib cage, it's very bony)
- 250g pack small flat cap mushroom (Portabellini), thickly sliced
- 1kg large potato , thinly sliced
- 3 Spanish onions (large brown onions), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 600ml strong-flavoured chicken stock
- STEP 1
Turn the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a deep flameproof and ovenproof casserole dish. Add the rabbit pieces, then fry briefly until browned. Lift from the dish onto a plae, add mushrooms to the dish, then quickly stir-fry. Lift from the dish and take off the heat.
- STEP 2
Layer half the potatoes into the dish then, seasoning with salt and pepper as you layer, top with half the onions, mushrooms and rosemary, then top with the rabbit. Now follow with the rest of the onions, mushrooms, rosemary and a neat layer of potatoes. Pour over the stock and brush potatoes with oil.
- STEP 3
Put back on the heat and bring to the boil, then cover and put in the oven for 1 hour 15 mins. Take off the lid, then return to the oven at 220C/fan 200C/gas 7 for 30 mins more to brown the top. Serve with Savoy cabbage cooked with butter, a dash of water and a sprinkling of caraway seeds.