Pumpkin & potato gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in about 1¼ hours
- Serves 6
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1large onion , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1large red chilli , seeded and chopped
- 700g pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into wedges and peeled, then cut into chunks
- 450g potato , peeled and cut into small cubes
- 6-8 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 140g dolcelatte cheese, cubed
- 50g parmesan , finely grated
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 284ml carton double cream
For the topping
- 50g butter
- 140g fresh white breadcrumb
- 25g walnut , chopped
- a handful of fresh parsley , chopped
- STEP 1
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until starting to soften (about 5 minutes). Lift the onions out with a slotted spoon and place in an ovenproof dish.
- STEP 2
Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then tip in the garlic, chilli, pumpkin chunks, chopped potatoes and sage and toss them together in the hot oil until lightly browned all over. (This takes 5-6 minutes.) Add to the dish containing the onion.
- STEP 3
Scatter the two sorts of cheese over the vegetables, season and toss together until well mixed. Combine the stock and cream and pour over the vegetables.
- STEP 4
Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the breadcrumbs and walnuts together until lightly browned. Stir in the parsley and scatter the crumbly mixture over the top of the vegetables. Put in the oven for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Serve hot, with a chicory salad (see link, right).