Poule au pot with stuffing balls & garlic cream
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 1 ½kg chicken
- 300ml white wine
- 1 onion , peeled but left whole
- 3 cloves
- 1 bouquet garni (tied bundle of herbs)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 12 small potatoes
- 4 carrots , cut into 5cm lengths
- 2 turnips , cut into wedges
- 3 leeks , cut into 5cm lengths
- roughly chopped parsley , to serve
For the stuffing balls
- 200g lean minced pork
- 100g streaky bacon , cut into dice
- 100g chicken livers , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 egg , beaten
- handful parsley leaves, chopped
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
For the garlic cream
- 3 garlic cloves , left whole
- 200ml tub crème fraîche
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the chicken in a flameproof casserole dish and pour over 600ml water and the wine. Stud the onion with the cloves. Add to the pan with the bouquet garni, garlic and seasoning, then bring to the boil. Cover and put in the oven for 1½ hrs.
- STEP 2
To make the garlic cream, simmer the unpeeled garlic cloves in a small pan of water for 30 mins until soft. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out into a bowl and mash with salt and pepper. Stir in the crème fraîche and tip into a bowl, then keep in the fridge until needed.
- STEP 3
For the stuffing, mix the meats in a bowl. Heat the oil in a small pan and gently fry the shallots and garlic until softened but not browned. Add to the bowl with the egg, parsley, breadcrumbs, seasoning, then mix well. Shape into 18 balls and put in a shallow baking tray.
- STEP 4
Remove chicken after 1½ hrs and put it on the hob on medium heat. Place the stuffing in the oven for 25-30 mins until browned and crisp. Add the vegetables to the chicken pot. Cook for 25-30 mins, then lift out the chicken to a plate and keep the veg warm in the stock.
- STEP 5
Remove chicken’s skin, and break the flesh into chunks. Put on a warm platter with the stuffing and the veg. Add a ladle of cooking stock and the parsley. Serve the rest of the cooking juices in a jug.