Pot-roast veal with new-season carrots & orange
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 1 ½kg piece rolled and tied veal shoulder
- 3 garlic cloves , 1 finely sliced, 2 bashed
- bunch of thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 800g new-season bunch of carrot , trimmed with stalks still attached
- 1 large shallot , roughly chopped
- sprinkling of icing sugar
- zest 1 orange , ½ pared into strips, ½ finely grated
- 150ml white wine
- 350ml chicken stock
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Stud the gaps in the veal joint with the sliced garlic and some thyme, then season well.
- STEP 2
Heat oil and butter in a deep flameproof casserole dish and spend a good 15 mins slowly sizzling the veal until brown all over. Remove the joint to a plate and add the carrots, shallot and icing sugar, then cook for 5 mins until everything is slightly caramelised. Lift out the carrots but leave everything else in the dish. Add the rest of the thyme, bashed garlic and the pared orange zest. Nestle the veal back in the dish and pour over the wine, then the stock. Cover and put in the oven for 1 hr.
- STEP 3
Remove the dish from the oven, uncover, and scatter the carrots around the meat. Return the dish to the oven for 1 hr, uncovered. Cook until the meat is very tender, then leave to cool slightly. Lift the meat onto a board and carve into slices. Serve with the juices from the dish and the tender carrots.