- ½ quantity pizza dough (see Basic pizza dough recipe in 'goes well with', right), divided into 2 balls
- 1 small aubergine, thinly sliced lengthways
Although it's technically a fruit (a berry, to be exact), the aubergine is used as a…
- 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh pesto (shop-bought or homemade)
Pesto is a generic Italian name for any sauce made by pounding ingredients together.
- 75g firm goat's cheese
- chilli flakes (optional)
- basil leaves, to serve
Prepare the dough following the instructions in Basic pizza dough recipe in 'goes well with', right.
Toss the vegetables in the oil and season well. Grill on your barbecue or griddle pan, about 5 mins each side, until black lines appear and the aubergines are soft. Remove and set aside. Cook one side of the pizzas.
Spread the pesto onto the cooked side of the pizzas. Add the aubergine, onion and goat’s cheese, broken into chunks, plus chilli flakes if you like it spicy. Grill, covered, until the cheese is melted. Serve with the basil leaves sprinkled over.