Pappardelle with sausage & fennel seed bolognese
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 35-45 minutes
- Serves 4
A perfect pasta for sharing, full of rich, tasty flavours
- 454g pkt good quality sausages
- 250g pkt pappardelle , frilly or not
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 shallots or 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2large garlic cloves , crushed
- 150ml red wine
- 4 plum tomatoes , seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan , plus extra to serve
- handful of fresh chopped parsley
- STEP 1
Boil the sausages in their skins in a pan of water for 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then snip off the skins and discard, and finely chop the meat.
- STEP 2
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Meanwhile heat a non-stick frying pan and toast the fennel seeds for a minute or so to bring out their flavour. Tip the seeds on to a plate, then add the oil to the pan and fry the shallots or onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until soft.
- STEP 3
Stir in the chopped sausages, red wine, tomatoes and tomato purée and simmer for 8-10 minutes or so until the tomatoes have cooked down to make a sauce.
- STEP 4
Drain the pasta, return it to the pan and toss in the sauce with the fennel seeds, Parmesan and parsley. Hand round extra Parmesan at the table.