New potato & smoked haddock crush
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 500g new potato , scrubbed if muddy
- 6 garlic cloves , peeled, but left whole
- 300g undyed smoked haddock , skinned
- full-fat milk
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- small bunch chives , finely chopped
- 100g French bean
- 1 small shallot , finely sliced
- 8 slices of baguette , toasted or crisped in a low oven
- STEP 1
Halve the potatoes if large. Tip into a pan of boiling salted water with the garlic, simmer for about 20 mins until they are on the brink of collapse, then drain. Meanwhile, cover the haddock with milk. Bring to a simmer, then poach the fish slowly for 5 mins until it flakes easily. Drain fish, but reserve the milk.
- STEP 2
While everything is still warm, crush the potatoes and garlic with a masher. Flake and mix in the fish, add 2 tbsp of the poaching milk and 3 tbsp olive oil, then mix well – you should have a loose, rich mash. Taste for seasoning. Stir in the chives and set aside. Cook the beans in boiling water, then drain and toss with the remaining oil and the shallot. Serve a large spoonful of crush with the French bean salad and a few slices of toast.