- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg lean minced beef
- 2 back bacon rashers, chopped
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 150ml red wine
- 500ml beef stock (from a cube is fine)
- leaves from 3 sprigs thyme
- STEP 1
Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. When hot, tip in the mince and cook for 10 mins until browned all over, breaking up any lumps with the back of a spoon. Tip onto a plate. You may need to do this in batches.
- STEP 2
Add the bacon to the pan with the onions and garlic, then cook for 7 mins until the bacon is cooked and onion softened. Return the mince to the pan, then pour in the red wine, stock and thyme leaves. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 mins until the mince is tender and the sauce has reduced down. Once cool, can be frozen for up to 3 months.