Mexican bean soup with crispy feta tortillas
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A low-fat, vegetarian midweek meal, this hearty soup with cheesy tortillas makes for a moreish combination
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp chipotle paste
- 500g carton passata
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 400g can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 400g can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 200g feta
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 4 large or 8 small flour tortillas
- small pack coriander , roughly chopped, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion over a medium heat for 10 mins to soften. Stir in the chipotle paste, passata, stock and all the beans. Season, bring to the boil, then gently simmer for 5 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, in a bowl crumble the feta and mix with the garlic. Divide between the tortillas, spreading over one half of each, then sprinkle over a little pepper. Fold the uncovered side over and press down. Heat a dry frying pan and cook the tortillas on both sides for a couple of mins until the feta has melted and the tortillas are crisp.
- STEP 3
Divide the soup between bowls, scatter with coriander and serve with the tortillas.