Marinated lamb steaks with barley salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus marinating
- Serves 2
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- small bunch mint , chopped
- 2 lean lamb leg steaks, about 100g/4oz each, trimmed of any fat
- 100g pearl barley
- 200g broad beans , fresh or frozen, podded and skins removed, if you like
- 100g frozen petits pois
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- STEP 1
Mix together 1 tbsp oil, the garlic, chilli, half the mint and some salt and pepper. Rub all over the steaks, then if you have time, leave to marinate for up to 2 hrs.
- STEP 2
Cook the pearl barley in boiling, salted water until tender, but not too soft, about 20 mins. Cook the beans and peas in the same pan for the last 2 mins. Drain really well, then tip into a large bowl. Add the red onion, remaining mint, lemon zest and juice, remaining oil, salt and pepper. Toss everything together.
- STEP 3
Heat a griddle or frying pan until almost smoking and cook the lamb for 4 mins on each side for pink, or longer if you prefer your meat well done. Divide the barley salad between 2 plates and serve with the grilled lamb, drizzled with any pan juices.