- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 225g black lentils
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 2 green chillies , deseeded and sliced
- 50g butter , plus a small chunk
- 1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- 3 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 x 400g cans red kidney beans , rinsed
- 142ml pot double cream
- ½ tsp garam masala
- handful chopped coriander
- STEP 1
Boil the lentils in 800ml water for 15 mins until almost tender. Meanwhile, fry the onions and chillies in the 50g butter for about 7 mins until starting to soften. Stir in the ginger, garlic and spices and cook over a low heat for 1 min more.
- STEP 2
Pour in 800ml boiling water followed by the cooked lentils and any liquid. Add the bay leaves and beans, then simmer for 20 mins more until thickened. This can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, or frozen for up to 1 month.
- STEP 3
To serve, return to the heat if necessary and stir in the cream. Season well. Pour into a bowl, dot with the remaining butter, dust with garam masala and scatter with coriander.