Lemon & mint aubergine tagine with almond couscous
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This Moroccan-inspired vegetarian stew is filled with all the delicious aromatics of North Africa. Serve on nutty couscous with mint and garlic yogurt
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 tbsp harissa
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 350g baby aubergine , trimmed and slit a couple of times
- 2 strips lemon zest , finely chopped
- 390g can butter bean , drained
- 175g wholemeal couscous
- 40g toasted flaked almond
- 150g pot 0% fat probiotic natural yogurt , mixed with ½ crushed garlic clove and 2 tbsp chopped mint, plus leaves to garnish (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins. Stir in the harissa, cumin and cinnamon, cook briefly, then tip in the stock and tomatoes.
- STEP 2
Add the aubergines and lemon, then cover the pan and cook gently for 15-20 mins until the aubergines are meltingly tender. Add the butter beans and warm through.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, cook the couscous following pack instructions, then stir in the almonds. Serve the aubergine tagine on the couscous with the yogurt drizzled over, and garnish with mint leaves, if you like.