Leek & prawn gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- A challenge
- Serves 6
- 4medium leeks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- curry salt , to season (see tip below)
- knob of butter , optional
- 250g raw, peeled tiger prawn
- 100ml double or whipping cream
- 1batch hollandaise sauce (see 'Goes well with' below)
- handful fresh parsley and coriander, chopped
- STEP 1
Top and tail the leeks, then slit in half and wash well. Slice thinly and drain. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and sauté the leeks for about 5 mins until softened and reduced by two-thirds. Season with curry salt and mix in a knob of butter, if liked. Tip into a bowl. Heat the grill to high.
- STEP 2
Wipe out the pan and heat with the remaining oil. Season the prawns with more curry salt to taste and stir-fry until just pink. Mix into the leeks.
- STEP 3
Whip the cream to form soft peaks and fold into the hollandaise along with the herbs, then fold into the leeks and prawns. Divide between six gratin dishes and brown under the grill, about 5 mins. Serve immediately.