Lamb & cranberry tagine
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus at least 3 hrs infusing
- Serves 6
This is a fragrant onepot that lets your oven do all the hard work. If you're Christmas entertaining, serve up this succulent lamb with couscous and yogurt
- 1 ½kg lamb shoulder , trimmed of excess fat, then cubed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large red onions , sliced into half moons
- 4 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks , broken in half
- 6 cardamom pods , lightly crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 200g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 50g shelled pistachios , toasted and roughly chopped, to serve
- natural yogurt , handful mint leaves and couscous, to serve
- STEP 1
At least 3 hrs before (or preferably a day), toss the lamb with half the cumin, coriander, sweet and hot paprika in a large bowl. Cover and leave in the fridge to infuse.
- STEP 2
Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a high heat and season the spiced lamb well. Working in batches, fry until completely brown, then set aside. Add more of the oil as you need it and get some deep colour on the meat – this will add to the flavour of the tagine.
- STEP 3
Once the lamb is browned, pour any remaining oil into the dish,reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, garlic and remaining ground spices. Cook for 5 mins until softened, then stir in the cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods. Return the lamb to the dish along with the tomatoes, plus 1 /2 a can of water and the honey. Bring to the boil, season, cover with a lid and put in the oven for 2 hrs 15 mins.
- STEP 4
Bring the tagine out of the oven, give it a good stir and tip in the cranberries. Return to the oven, with the lid off, for a further 15 mins until the lamb is completely tender.
- STEP 5
Taste the tagine for seasoning and remove the cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods. Scatter over the pistachios, yogurt and mint leaves, then serve out of the dish at the table with couscous.