Jerk sweet potato & black bean curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 10
- 2 onions, 1 diced, 1 roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g ginger, roughly chopped
- small bunch coriander, leaves and stalks separated
- 3 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 450g jar roasted red pepper, cut into thick slices
- STEP 1
Gently soften the diced onion in the sunflower oil in a big pan or casserole.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, whizz together the roughly chopped onion, ginger, coriander stalks and jerk seasoning with a hand-held blender. Add to the softened onion and fry until fragrant. Stir in the thyme, chopped tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and stock cubes with 600ml water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 mins, then drop in the sweet potatoes and simmer for 10 mins more. Stir in the beans, peppers and some seasoning, and simmer for another 5 mins until the potatoes are almost tender. Cool and chill for up to 2 days.
- STEP 3
To serve, gently heat through on the hob. Roughly chop most of the coriander leaves and stir in, then serve scattered with the remaining leaves.