Jackfruit bolognese with vegan parmesan
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 320g carrots (3 medium), finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks (320g), finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 410g can jackfruit in water, drained and finely chopped
- 100g red lentils
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tsp vegetable bouillon powder (check it’s vegan)
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 325g wholemeal spaghetti
- chopped parsley , to serve (optional)
For the vegan parmesan
- 40g cashews
- 4 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the carrots, celery and garlic for 10 mins, stirring every now and then.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the vegan parmesan. Tip the cashews, nutritional yeast and garlic granules into a food processor and blitz to fine crumbs. Add a little salt, if needed, and set aside.
- STEP 3
Tip the jackfruit into the veg mix with the lentils, 700ml water, the tomato purée, bouillon powder and thyme, then cover and cook for 25 mins. Add a little more water if needed – it should be pulpy.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile cook half the spaghetti, following pack instructions, until al dente. If following the Healthy Diet Plan toss with half the sauce, divide between two bowls and sprinkle with half of the vegan parmesan and parsley, if using. The sauce will keep, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.