Hoisin beef with crispy noodle cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 300g/11oz piece rump or sirloin steak
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- small bunch mint , leaves only
- 6 radishes , thinly sliced
For the noodle cake
- 3 eggs , beaten
- 200g dried egg noodle , cooked
- 140g stir-fry vegetable (we used beansprouts, spring onions, peppers, cabbage and mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- STEP 1
In a shallow dish, coat the steak with the hoisin sauce and some black pepper. Leave to marinate while you make the noodle cake.
- STEP 2
Mix all the ingredients (apart from the oil) for the noodle cake with some black pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Heat half the oil in a medium-sized, non-stick frying pan (or omelette pan). Tip in the eggy mixture and cook over a medium heat for about 3-4 mins until golden. Turn over – the easiest way is to put a flat plate on top of the frying pan – invert to release the cake, then slide back in. Cook for another 3-4 mins, then slide out and keep warm in a low oven while you cook the steak.
- STEP 3
Give the pan a quick wipe and heat the rest of the oil. Cook the steak for about 2-3 mins each side (depending on the thickness of your steak) for medium-rare, or longer for well done. Rest for a couple of mins, then serve in slices, scattered with the mint and radish, with the noodle cake.