Healthy baked beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 4
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion (185g), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 500g passata
- 3 pitted dates (about 15g), roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp bouillon powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 x 400g haricot beans, drained
- 4 medium cooked jacket potatoes
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan over a low heat and fry the onion for 5 mins until golden. Add a drop of water if it looks like it’s starting to burn.
- STEP 2
Stir in the garlic, then tip in the passata, dates, vinegar, bouillon and bay leaf. Grind in plenty of black pepper and simmer for 5 mins.
- STEP 3
Tip in the beans and 400ml water, then simmer for 10 mins, stirring every now and then until thick. To freeze, leave to cool completely, then divide between freezer bags and freeze for up to three months. Defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight and reheat in a pan until piping hot. Serve over jacket potatoes.