Griddled cornbread with devilled eggs & avocado
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- a few drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ fat green chilli , thinly sliced (optional)
- small knob of butter , softened
- 1 small ripe avocado , halved, stoned, peeled and sliced (do this just before serving to prevent it from browning)
- 4 thick slices cornbread (see Goes Well with for recipe)
- handful coriander leaves, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat a griddle pan and a large frying pan. Put the tomatoes, sugar and Tabasco in the frying pan and bubble for 10 mins – season and taste to check the spiciness, adding a splash more Tabasco, if you like. Make 2 spaces in the pan and crack in the eggs, then scatter over the chilli, if using. Cook for a further 3-5 mins until the whites of the eggs are cooked and the yolks are still runny (or to your liking).
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, butter the cornbread and place, butter-side down, on the hot griddle pan. Cook for 2-3 mins each side until dark griddle lines appear. Top the cornbread with the avocado and the eggs, then spoon around the tomatoes, scatter with coriander and serve.