Fried green tomatoes with ripe tomato salsa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 200g polenta
- 2 eggs
- 4 large green tomatoes , about 500g/1lb 2oz, sliced 1cm thick
- vegetable oil , for frying
For the salsa
- 1 large or 2-3 medium ripe tomatoes , finely chopped
- 2 spring onions , finely chopped
- handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli , deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- STEP 1
Sprinkle the flour over a plate. Place polenta into a medium bowl, season and mix well. Place eggs in a small bowl and beat. Lightly coat a green tomato slice first in the flour, dusting off any excess, dip in the egg, then coat in polenta. Repeat with remaining slices.
- STEP 2
Heat a shallow pool of oil in a large frying pan. Fry the coated tomatoes in batches until golden and crisp on both sides, turning them over with a fish slice. As they are done, drain well on kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven while you fry remaining batches.
- STEP 3
To make the salsa, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Serve the fried green tomatoes hot, with the salsa spooned over.