Fennel, pomegranate & broad bean salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- No cook
- Serves 6
This bulgur wheat and chopped herb salad makes a scrumptious side to take to a picnic - drizzle the dressing over before serving
- 200g bulgur wheat
- small bunch mint , finely chopped
- small bunch parsley , finely chopped
- small bunch dill , finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb , quartered, core removed and thinly sliced
- 200g pomegranate seeds
- 350g (weight before skinning) fresh or frozen broad beans
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- large handful rocket or watercress
For the dressing
- STEP 1
Boil the kettle and put the bulgur wheat in a bowl with a good pinch of salt. Pour over enough boiling water to just cover the bulgur, cover with cling film and set aside for 10 mins.
- STEP 2
Put the ingredients for the dressing in a jam jar or small bottle with some seasoning, screw on the lid and shake well. Uncover the bulgur wheat and, if there is any water left in the bowl, drain the bulgur, then tip into a large container for transporting. Add the herbs, fennel, pomegranate seeds, broad beans and pumpkin seeds, and toss everything together. Top with the salad leaves and pack the jam jar of salad dressing separately.
- STEP 3
Before serving, drizzle over the dressing and toss everything together.