English summer salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 500g peas and broad beans (freshly podded if possible)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 or so spring onions , trimmed and thinly sliced
- assortment of lettuce leaves, such as wild rocket, Baby Gem, water or land cress
- juice and zest 1 lemon
- handful chervil and flat-leaf parsley leaves
- STEP 1
Throw the peas and beans into a large pan of rapidly boiling salted water. Bring back to the boil for no more than 1-2 mins. Drain and allow to cool naturally (rather than plunging into iced water, which in my opinion washes off flavour).
- STEP 2
Dress while still warm in a little of the olive oil, scatter over the spring onions and season well. Finally, dress the lettuce leaves in the remaining oil, the lemon juice and zest. Season well. Toss together with the peas, broad beans and spring onions. Scatter the herbs over the top.