Easy vegan mac 'n' cheese
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 4 portions
- 500g macaroni
- vegan parmesan, grated, to serve
For the sauce
- 100g cashew nuts
- 1 large carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 medium floury potato, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick roughly chopped
- 150g sweet potato or butternut squash, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 200ml plant-based milk
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- a few basil leaves, finely chopped
- 50g vegan cheese, grated
- STEP 1
For the sauce, put the cashew nuts in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 mins, then add all the vegetables and the garlic. Continue to simmer for at least 10 mins until all the veg is tender.
- STEP 2
Drain and transfer to a blender. Add all the remaining sauce ingredients and season with salt. Blend until smooth.
- STEP 3
Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add a good pinch of salt. Tip in the macaroni and cook following pack instructions. Drain and mix with the vegetable sauce. If you like, sprinkle with vegan parmesan to serve. The macaroni cheese can be eaten like this or you can bake it in the oven.
- STEP 4
To bake the mac n cheese, heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and stir through the tomatoes. Mix the breadcrumbs with the basil and vegan cheese, then scatter ver the top and bake for 25 mins until piping hot and bubbling.