Duck, apricot & pine nut pastilla
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 6 confit duck legs (buy ready prepared or make your own)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 140g dried apricots, quartered
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon, plus a pinch extra for dusting
- ½ tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- tiny pinch saffron
- 400ml chicken stock
- zest 2 lemons, plus a good squeeze juice
- 50g toasted pine nut, plus a few extra to serve
- 4 large sheets brik or filo pastry (see tip - what is brik pastry)
- 1 tsp icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- STEP 1
Shred the duck meat from the bones and set aside. discard the skin and bones.
- STEP 2
Gently fry the onions in the oil until softened and golden. stir in the apricots and spices, and cook for 5 mins, then pour in the chicken stock. stir in the duck and cook gently until moist, but not too liquid. stir in the lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice and the pine nuts, and season well.
- STEP 3
Put a baking sheet in the oven and heat to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Brush a 22-23cm springform or loose-bottomed round tin with a little olive oil. Push 2 pastry sheets into the tin, lining the base and leaving extra up the sides. spoon in the duck mixture and pat down evenly. sit the other 2 sheets on top, scrunching the edges of the pastry around the sides. Brush the top with a little more oil and bake on the heated baking sheet for 20-30 mins until crisp and golden brown. To serve, scatter with a few more pine nuts and dust with a pinch of cinnamon and the icing sugar, if you like.