Creamy veggie risotto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 adults and 2-3 children
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 parsnip , finely diced
- 2 medium carrots , finely diced
- 350g risotto rice , such as arborio
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.2l hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 140g frozen pea or petit pois
- 50g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large shallow pan. Tip in the onion, parsnip and carrots, cover and gently fry for 8 mins until the onion is very soft.
- STEP 2
Stir in the rice and bay leaf, then gently fry for another 2-3 mins until the rice starts to turn see-through around the edges. Add 300ml of the stock and simmer over a gentle heat, stirring until it has all been absorbed. Carry on adding the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, letting it be absorbed before adding more. Continue until the rice is just cooked and all the stock has been used, adding a little more water or stock if needed. This will take 18-20 mins.
- STEP 3
Remove the bay leaf from the cooked risotto and stir in the peas. Heat through for a few mins, then add most of the Parmesan and season to taste. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and serve.