Creamy tarragon chicken bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Gluten, egg and dairy free - this is the perfect dinner party dish for those with intolerances
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice flour (we used Doves Farm)
- 300ml soya milk (we used So Good)
- 4 chicken breasts , skin removed
- 2 red onions , cut into wedges
- 250g punnet cherry tomato , halved
- 250g asparagus spear , blanched
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 150ml vegetable stock (we used Kallo yeast-free vegetable stock)
- 3 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 4 tbsp gluten-free breadcrumb (we used Sainsbury's 'Free From' English muffins)
- 1 tbsp grated dairy and lactose-free cheese (we used Cheezly)
- STEP 1
Mix half the oil and flour in a saucepan (off the heat), then blend in the soya milk (it must be well blended before heating). Bring the sauce slowly to the boil, whisking constantly, then simmer for 1 min. Remove from the heat, cover with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- STEP 2
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan, add the chicken, then fry for 2-3 mins or until brown (it won’t be cooked through). Transfer to an ovenproof gratin dish. Add the onions to the pan and fry for 2-3 mins. Spoon over the chicken, then top with the tomatoes and asparagus. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- STEP 3
Put the sugar and vinegar into the pan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is a dark caramel colour, then add the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 min. Whisk into the milky sauce until blended, season, then add the tarragon. Spoon sauce over the chicken and veg, sprinkle with crumbs and cheese, then bake for 20 mins or until cooked through.
People on special diets often avoid creamy sauces, but it is possible to make a good sauce using a butter substitute (olive oil or Pure), along with rice flour (in place of plain flour) and soya ‘milk’. Remember – not all soya milks are wheat-free, so double check.
We tested this recipe using gluten-free flour, but found that rice flour blended more readily with the stock. Check your stock doesn’t contain wheat or gluten.