- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra if needed
- 400g diced stewing beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle paste (or gluten-free alternative), depending on how spicy you like it
- 400g can kidney bean in chilli sauce
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 1 lime, zested and cut into wedges
- ¼ small pack coriander, leaves only
- cooked rice, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the beef pieces for a few mins on each side until browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- STEP 2
Add the onion to the pan, with extra oil if needed, and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic, cumin and chipotle paste, and cook for 1 min. Sieve the kidney beans, reserving the sauce. Add this sauce, along with the chopped tomatoes and a can full of water, to the pan. Stir well, then return the meat to the pan. Bring to a simmer, then cook, covered, for 2 hrs or until the beef is tender (or bake in the oven for 3 hrs at 160C/140C fan/gas 3).
- STEP 3
Add the reserved kidney beans and lime zest, season and warm through. Serve with a scattering of coriander leaves, the lime wedges to squeeze over, and rice, if you like.