Choc-cherry fudge torte with cherry sorbet
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus soaking
- More effort
- Cuts into 10 slices
This divine, squidgy chocolate cake is dairy and wheat-free, so vegans can dig in!
- 100g dried sour cherry
- 5 tbsp brandy
- 300g gluten- and wheat-free plain flour (we used Doves Farm)
- 85g cocoa , plus extra for dusting
- 200g light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp gluten-free bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 350ml rice milk (preferably unsweetened)
- 150ml agave syrup
- a little icing sugar , for dusting
For the sorbet
- 2 x 600g jars cherry compote
- 200g caster sugar
- STEP 1
For the sorbet, whizz the compote with the sugar until smooth-ish, then tip into a freezer-proof container. Freeze until solid.
- STEP 2
Mix the cherries and the brandy and leave to soak for a few hrs.
- STEP 3
Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Line the base of a round, 20cm loosebottomed tin with baking parchment. Mix the flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, bicarb and xanthan gum in a big bowl. Whisk the oil, rice milk and agave syrup, then add to the dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon. Add the cherries and any brandy, then scrape into the tin. Bake for 35-45 mins until crisp on top but fudgy in the centre. Cool in the tin.
- STEP 4
Carefully lift the torte onto a serving plate. Dust with cocoa and icing sugar, and serve with the cherry sorbet.