Chilli chicken curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A healthy flavour-packed curry that counts as one of your 5 a day, and it's low in fat
- 1 medium onion , roughly chopped
- 3cm root ginger , roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp hot chilli powder or ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 230g can chopped tomatoes
- 350g potato , peeled and cut into rough chunks
- 500g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3cm chunks
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- natural yogurt , to serve
- STEP 1
Blitz the onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor with 1 tbsp water until smooth.
- STEP 2
Fry the cumin seeds in oil for a few seconds. Add the onion paste and brown over a medium heat. Add a dash of water if it starts to catch.
- STEP 3
Sprinkle in the turmeric and chilli. Add the tomatoes and fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and 250ml/9fl oz hot water. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- STEP 4
Add the chicken and garam masala. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until cooked. Season with salt. Tip into a bowl, scatter over coriander and serve with flavoured rice and natural yogurt.