Chicken livers on toast
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 250g chicken livers
- 2 shallots , finely chopped
- large handful flatleaf parsley , leaves very roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp capers , rinsed and drained, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 slices nice bread , such as sourdough
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- large pinch cayenne pepper
- STEP 1
Pick over the livers, cutting away any fatty bits and sinew, then pat the livers dry. Place the shallot, parsley and capers into a bowl and drizzle with half the olive oil and 1 tbsp of the Sherry vinegar.
- STEP 2
Toast the bread (preferably on a griddle but a toaster is fine). Toss the livers in the flour and cayenne pepper, and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan and fry the livers over a really high heat for 4-5 mins until brown and crisp on the outside and cooked, but still a little pink in the middle. Splash remaining vinegar into the pan and bubble down for 1 min.
- STEP 3
Tip the contents of the pan in with the shallot and parsley, toss everything together, season to taste, then pile onto the toasted bread. Season with a little crunchy sea salt and serve.