Poached pears in spiced tea
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp redcurrant or cranberry jelly
- 2 spiced fruit tea bags (Pukka's 'revitalise' is good, or apple & cinnamon)
- 4 firm pears , peeled, halved and core scooped out with a spoon
- handful fresh cranberries
- yogurt or sweetened crème fraîche with a little orange juice or zest, to serve
- STEP 1
Put the sugar, honey, jelly and tea bags into a big saucepan with 600ml water and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the pear halves, then cover and simmer for 12-15 mins until the pears are just tender – poke them with a skewer or the tip of a knife.
- STEP 2
Lift out the pears, then turn up the heat, throw in the cranberries and boil for a few mins until syrupy. Discard the tea bags. Serve the pears with the warm syrup poured over and a spoonful of crème fraîche or yogurt.