Chicken liver & mushroom nests
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12 nests, plus 250g extra to stuff a 5kg turkey
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 onions , finely chopped
- 250g pack chestnut mushroom , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 400g pack chicken liver , trimmed of any sinewy bits
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 140g white breadcrumb
- bunch flatleaf parsley , chopped
- handful walnuts , chopped
- 12 smoked, dry-cured streaky bacon rashers
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onions for 10 mins with the pan covered. Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms and fry for about 10 mins until golden and all their liquid has evaporated. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Tip everything onto a plate.
- STEP 2
Pat the livers dry, then add a little more oil to the pan. Sizzle in batches for about 20 secs on each side until just golden but not cooked through. Set aside on a plate as you go. Tip in the brandy and let it reduce to 1 tbsp. Roughly chop the livers once cooled, then mix with the oniony mushrooms, brandy, bread and almost all the parsley and nuts.
- STEP 3
To cook, wind bacon rashers into the wells of a 12-hole bun tin, like little nests. Spoon in the stuffing (reserving 250g for your turkey), scatter with remaining nuts, then bake, covered with foil, for 20 mins. Uncover and cook for 25 mins more until the bacon is gold. Scatter with remaining chopped parsley to serve.