Chestnut & bacon cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8, plus 250g extra to stuff a 5kg turkey
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 onions , finely chopped
- 8 smoked, dry-cured streaky bacon rashers, chopped
- 200g vacuum-packed chestnut , most roughly chopped, plus 100g more for the top, halved, if you like
- 450g pack good-quality pork sausage , meat squeezed out
- 140g breadcrumb
- 2 thyme sprigs, leave picked
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 tsp butter , melted
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the onions and two-thirds of the bacon, covered, for 10 mins until the onions are very soft. Once cool enough to handle, mix with the chopped chestnuts, sausagemeat, breadcrumbs, thyme leaves and egg, and season really well. Take out 250g for stuffing the turkey.
- STEP 2
Butter a 23cm round tin, scoop in the remaining stuffing, press down a little, then top with the remaining bacon. Put onto a baking sheet, cover with foil and bake for 15 mins.
- STEP 3
Uncover, grind over some fresh black pepper, then cook for 35 mins more until the bacon is turning golden. With 5 mins to go, top with the chestnut halves, if you like, brushing them with a little butter. Cut into wedges to serve.