- 2 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
Related to the onion (as opposed to being a younger version of it), shallots grow in clusters at…
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 400g carrots, roughly chopped
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 300ml vegan vegetable stock
- 20 crunchy vegan crackers (such as an olive oil toast)
- ½ small pack dill, leaves picked, to serve
- 20 veg crisps (we used a small bag of Tyrells), to serve
Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shallot and a pinch of salt, and cook for 6 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic and caraway seeds and cook for 1 min more, then add the carrot and veg stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 12 mins.
Once the carrots are completely soft, drain them (reserve the liquid) and blitz to a smooth purée – add a tbsp of the reserved stock initially, but use more if necessary to get the desired consistency. Season and leave to cool. The purée can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge.
To serve, spoon the purée – or, if you want to be extra fancy, transfer it to a piping bag and pipe it – onto the oatcakes and top each with a little dill and a veg crisp.