Carrot & caraway crackers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 20
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot , roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove , roughly chopped
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 400g carrots , roughly chopped
- 300ml vegan vegetable stock
- 20 crunchy vegan crackers (such as an olive oil toast)
- ½ small pack dill , leaves picked, to serve
- 20 veg crisps (we used a small bag of Tyrells), to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shallot and a pinch of salt, and cook for 6 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic and caraway seeds and cook for 1 min more, then add the carrot and veg stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 12 mins.
- STEP 2
Once the carrots are completely soft, drain them (reserve the liquid) and blitz to a smooth purée – add a tbsp of the reserved stock initially, but use more if necessary to get the desired consistency. Season and leave to cool. The purée can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge.
- STEP 3
To serve, spoon the purée – or, if you want to be extra fancy, transfer it to a piping bag and pipe it – onto the oatcakes and top each with a little dill and a veg crisp.