Broad beans with tomatoes & anchovies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 20-25 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1.3kg young broad beans in the pod (to give about 350g/12oz shelled beans)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 450g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4-6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh marjoram or parsley
- STEP 1
Blanch the shelled beans in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain into a sieve and hold under running cold water to cool them down quickly. Drain again and peel off the outer hard skins – make a nick in the tops and pop the beans out.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan until very hot, add the tomatoes and sauté over a high heat until the juices begin to run and caramelise. Tip in the spring onions and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes until the onions just begin to soften and the garlic begins to turn golden. Now add the beans and sauté for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Stir in the anchovies so they break up, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the marjoram or parsley and serve.