Broad bean, barley & mint salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus cooling
- Serves 4 - 6
- 1l vegetable stock
- 500g podded fresh broad bean (or use frozen)
- 225g pearl barley
- 2 handfuls mint leaves
- 200g radish , quartered
- 100g whole hazelnut , toasted and roughly chopped
- 140g goat's cheese , crumbled into small chunks
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- juice and zest ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- STEP 1
Heat the stock in a medium saucepan until boiling, then add the broad beans and cook for 3 mins until they float. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and run under cold water to stop them cooking further. Squeeze the beans from their skins, if desired.
- STEP 2
Add the pearl barley to the stock and simmer over a low heat for 40-45 mins until tender. Drain the barley, stir through the mint leaves while still warm, then leave to cool.
- STEP 3
For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together, season generously and mix into the cooled barley. Serve on a large platter or individual plates, scattered with the radishes, hazelnuts and goat’s cheese.