Black beans & rice with fried egg, avocado & pickled onions
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 200g long grain rice
- groundnut oil or flavourless oil, plus extra for frying
- 350g tomatoes , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , peeled and grated
- 6 spring onions , chopped
- 2 red chillies and 1 green chilli, halved, deseeded and chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 400g can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 limes , juiced (or to taste - you might not need as much)
- pickled chillies (you can buy them in jars), sliced avocado and soured cream (optional), to serve
- STEP 1
Put the rice in a saucepan with some salt and cover with about 5cm water. Bring to the boil and keep boiling until the water has disappeared and the surface of the rice looks ‘pitted’, as if there are little holes all over it. Immediately turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cover the pan with a lid. Leave to cook for 15 mins. By this time, the rice should be tender.
- STEP 2
In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and cook the tomatoes over a medium heat for about 7 mins. Add the garlic, spring onions, chillies, oregano and cumin, season and cook for another 2 mins. Tip in the drained beans, stir them round and taste for seasoning.
- STEP 3
Add the rice to the pan with the tomatoes, beans and some seasoning. Heat through, then cover. Quickly heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the eggs. Season.
- STEP 4
Stir the coriander into the rice and bean mixture and squeeze over the lime juice. Serve the rice and beans with a fried egg on top alongside some pickled chillies, slices of avocado and a good dollop of soured cream, if you like.