- 300g pack cooked beetroot in water, drained, half sliced
A favourite in 1970's British salads (served cooked and pickled in vinegar), beetroot is a…
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp vegan pesto
- olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- splash of vinegar (white wine vinegar if you have it)
- 2 large ciabatta rolls, sliced in half
- 2 large handfuls mixed rocket, watercress & spinach salad
Blitz the whole beetroot, ¾ of the chickpeas, 2 tbsp pesto and 1 tbsp oil in a food processor with some seasoning until you have a thick, smooth hummus. Heat the ciabatta following the pack instructions.
Fry the remaining chickpeas in a little oil until crisp, then set aside. Toss the salad leaves with the remaining pesto and a splash of vinegar. Slice the rolls, then assemble the sandwiches with the hummus, beetroot slices, salad leaves and fried chickpeas.